Paraclete Press, the publisher of my new book on the spiritual lessons from Narnia, has posted a generous excerpt from the book in PDF format online. Please take a moment to read it — and if you find it entertaining or useful, I hope you’ll order a copy (or three) for yourself or to give [...]
Tag Archives | Writing
I have a friend who is struggling to complete a dissertation. Entire days can go by without writing a single sentence. Sitting at the computer is an exercise in fear and frustration. To say my friend has writer’s block is — well, you know, just another label. But like so many labels, it has a [...]
A reader named William Law (I wonder if he’s related to the author of A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life?) has not been shy about attacking the basic premise of this blog. Here are a few quotes from recent comments of his (all made to one recent post): The discussion of mysticism [...]
First of all, a big shout out and “thank you” to the good folks of WordPress.com who chose my post from yesterday, Of Death, Dementia and Dear Old Friends, to be featured on their “Freshly Pressed” page. This is the first time a post from this blog made it onto that site (where they daily [...]
I spoke with a friend of mine the other night, who does marketing consulting for publishers. We talked about my writing. Now that The Lion, the Mouse and the Dawn Treader has gone to press, my next project is to work on the new edition of The Aspiring Mystic which will hopefully be released in [...]
I’ve been praying — and thinking — a lot about consistency lately. I struggle with self-sabotage issues. I make a commitment, and then back away from it. I commit to spending an hour a day in silent contemplation, and then I over commit my life so that I just never seem to find the time [...]
So… you know the feeling when you’ve rushed to get to the airport, and dealt with parking, and ticketing, and security, and after what seems like an eternity you board your flight and find your seat, and only then you can finally relax. Before long the flight attendants close the door and show the security [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...