A reader writes: Carl, when you are sufficiently silent with the “waters stilled” how do you experience revelation. I suppose a better question would be what is your experience “there” like? Does God float into view … or does God whisper … ?? Or do you find a path to look inwardly in order to [...]
Tag Archives | Music
I am simply thrilled to post that Fran and Rhiannon and I have recently purchased our tickets to see Renaissance (the legendary 1970s-era classical rock band, which re-formed in 2010) in its first concert in Atlanta in about 30 years! They will be at Variety Playhouse on October 4 — the Feast of Saint Francis. Not [...]
This past Saturday evening Fran and I took Rhiannon to see her favorite musician, Cindy Lou Harrington, in concert at a wonderful little pizza place called Shorty’s in Tucker, GA (unlike most pizzerias, Shorty’s has several vegan options on their menu). Before the show began, Cindy Lou stopped by our table and posed for a [...]
Following up on last Sunday’s post of books by folks appearing at the Wild Goose Festival, here’s a gallery of selected CDs by some of the musicians who likewise are expected to show up at the first Wild Goose Festival, to be held in North Carolina this coming June 23-26. What excites me about this [...]
Here’s a gallery of selected books by some of the speakers, authors, conversationalists, storytellers, and agitators who will be present at the first Wild Goose Festival, to be held in North Carolina this coming June 23-26. If you’re like me, you probably find this list of books in itself to be pretty exciting. Imagine the [...]
When I was in Northern Ireland, I stayed at a retreat center in Rostrevor, in County Down. Just four miles down the road is Holy Cross Monastery, which according to its website is the first new Benedictine monastery in Ireland since the twelfth century! It was established in 1998, and currently is home to six [...]
A friend of mine was party to a conversation among several folks committed to the spiritual life. I wasn’t there, so I have no idea who these folks are, except for my friend who told the tale. Apparently, the subject of silence came up. Everyone agreed that silence was essential to living a contemplative life. [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...