This past weekend I led a retreat at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit called “The Spirituality of George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis.” Following Lewis’s longstanding nickname, I affectionately referred to our topic as “The Spirit of George and Jack.” Weekend retreats at the monastery typically include five conferences: one Friday evening, three on [...]
Tag Archives | Monastery of the Holy Spirit
Episcopal priest Jane Tomaine has written a wonderful book on Benedictine spirituality called St. Benedict’s Toolbox. Tomorrow she is presenting a one-day workshop on “Benedictine Spirituality: Living Intentionally in a Distracted World” here in Atlanta, and alas, I won’t be able to attend — I’ll be busy co-leading a retreat at the Monastery of the [...]
In the simple promises for the junior lay associates (Lay Cistercians) of the Monastery of the Holy Spirit, we promise, among other things, to live “life in simplicity and prayer.” I love that juxtaposition. Prayer and simplicity go together so beautifully, it seems to me, that one of the best ways to cultivate in our [...]
Last week two monks of the Monastery of the Holy Spirit had birthdays. Father Anthony (who is the monastic advisor to the Lay Associates, of whom I am a member) turned a mere 83. But Father Luke, our last surviving founder (he’s been at the monastery since it was established in 1944) turned 100! Needless [...]
Mark Doty has written a wonderful poem called “A Green Crab’s Shell.” You can read it here. It’s about finding a crab shell and wondering at the beautiful shock of “Giotto blue” found within it — the color of the sky, carried by the crab all life long and yet invisible to all (except God). [...]
These dates are subject to change, but will probably stay as they are. If you’d like to participate in a retreat that I will be leading or co-leading at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA, in 2012, here are the dates to hold: June 15 – 17, 2012: The Spirituality of George [...]
The Monastery of the Holy Spirit has opened a new Monastic Heritage Center, including a museum of monastic culture — housed in an old barn where the monks lived when they first came to Georgia in 1944, a greenhouse and garden center, a coffee shop, and a new Abbey Store. The entire center is beautiful, [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...