My wife pointed me to this video. Well worth watching — and trying out.
Tag Archives | meditation
There was a sense of freedom in knowing that I would never run out of room to grow. There was peace in knowing the race was over. Where I was right now was just where I should be, given the amount of effort I had expended. I saw the wake behind my boat for the [...]
It’s Monday morning. For some of us, it’s the beginning of another hectic week. Others might be facing the challenge of looking for employment, or creating meaning and purpose in the face of retirement or long-term disability. Wherever your life’s journey might have taken you to reach this morning, I invite you to consider the [...]
Silence is not an absence of noise (though that sort of silence helps) but a limitless interior space. Silence is our natural state. Lack of silence erodes our humanity. … Through intention we can teach our selves to default to silence; meditation is only a first and very minor step. — Maggie Ross, Writing the [...]
The basic definition of meditation is “having a steady mind.” In meditation, when your thoughts go up, you don’t go up, and you don’t go down when your thoughts go down. Whether your thoughts are good or bad, exciting or boring, blissful or miserable, you let them be. You don’t accept some and reject others. [...]
What do mystics do? The following list can be a way to begin answering this question. I’m not suggesting that every mystic does everything on this list (for starters, this list is particularly aimed at Christian mystics), or that a person has to do all of these things to be considered a mystic. I’m trying [...]
Bede Griffiths, one of the great contemplative masters of our time, claimed that there are actually three routes to the center. You can have a near-death experience. You can fall desperately in love. Or you can begin a practice of meditation. Of the three, he said with a somewhat mischievous smile, meditation is probably the [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...