What would the nativity look like if it happened now — in today’s socially networked world?
Tag Archives | humor
This is cute.
A reader named William Law (I wonder if he’s related to the author of A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life?) has not been shy about attacking the basic premise of this blog. Here are a few quotes from recent comments of his (all made to one recent post): The discussion of mysticism [...]
Bede Griffiths, one of the great contemplative masters of our time, claimed that there are actually three routes to the center. You can have a near-death experience. You can fall desperately in love. Or you can begin a practice of meditation. Of the three, he said with a somewhat mischievous smile, meditation is probably the [...]
I have been asked to lead a retreat at the Guesthouse of the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in September. The person who originally was in charge of the retreat is unable to lead it, and so I have inherited it. It is called “Live, Laugh, Love” and it sounds like it will be tremendous [...]
Three ministers — a Baptist, a Presbyterian, and an Episcopalian — were having lunch one day. One of them posed this hypothetical question: “If you knew you only had a week to live and could only preach one last sermon, what would your topic be?” The Baptist enthusiastically said, “I would preach on the absolute [...]
Simon’s Cat (In His Very Own Book) By Simon Tofield New York: Grand Central Publishing, 2009 Review by Carl McColman Move over, Garfield, Dewey, LOLCats, and all those adorable cats by Kliban… here come’s “Simon’s Cat,” who insinuated himself (herself?) into my heart with a huge baseball bat. Twenty-five million Youtube fans later, Simon’s irrepressible [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...