This past weekend I led a retreat at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit called “The Spirituality of George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis.” Following Lewis’s longstanding nickname, I affectionately referred to our topic as “The Spirit of George and Jack.” Weekend retreats at the monastery typically include five conferences: one Friday evening, three on [...]
Tag Archives | C. S. Lewis
I don’t want to say too much right now — I’ve written a piece that I’ve submitted to another blog; if they turn it down I’ll post it here, and if they publish it I’ll post a link. But here’s the gist of what I have to say: I went to see the film adaptation [...]
The first review of The Lion, the Mouse and the Dawn Treader (or, at least, the first review to come to my attention) is in! It’s by Byron Borger and was written for the blog of the Hearts & Minds Bookstore in Dallastown, PA. It’s part of a long post he wrote called: C. S. [...]
Today the movie adaptation of C. S. Lewis’s The Voyage of the Dawn Treader opens in American theaters. The third of the Chronicles of Narnia, it features a wondrous sea voyage — a quest in which our heroes (King Caspian, Reepicheep the Mouse, and the English schoolchildren Lucy, Edmund and Eustace) seek the seven Lost [...]
I am honored to announce the forthcoming publication of my twelfth book: The Lion, the Mouse and the Dawn Treader: Spiritual Lessons from C. S. Lewis’s Narnia. As the title suggests, this book is an exploration of the spiritual themes and “mystical life lessons” as found in C. S. Lewis’s The Voyage of the Dawn [...]
Mike Morrell pointed this one out to me: an article by N. T. Wright on C. S. Lewis. Simply Lewis: Reflections on a Master Apologist After 60 Years
Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. Lewis By David C. Downing Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2005 Review by Carl McColman In his last book, Letters to Malcolm, C. S. Lewis all but declares that he is not a mystic. Comparing mystics to those who climb mountains, Lewis tells Malcolm, “You and [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...